Skip to main content

JoJo in Whoville

I've been thinking a lot about how social media amplifies my voice, allowing me to share my thoughts with more people (by blogging, for instance). How is my voice heard and how do others interpret what I'm saying? I feel a little bit like JoJo from "Horton Hears a Who" (not the littlest Who - Cindy Lou, but the one at the end who lets out a big YOPP! from the top of the Eiffelberg Tower). Sometimes it seems like one more voice in the clamor - but joining our voices together is what can potentially save us from being boiled in beezul-nut oil. (Women's March - I'm looking at you!)
I'm currently at a conference in San Francisco. I'm here to speak to the association hosting the conference about partnering with them to improve the educational programs they offer to their members. To help me learn more about their members and the industry, I've been attending different events at the conference and yesterday I had the opportunity to watch the keynote speaker from a large global consulting group talk about the roles of trust, authenticity, influence, and generational priorities. (Personally, I think Millennials get a bad rep - mostly because they befuddle the Boomers who don't like their authority challenged...but I realize that's not a particularly nuanced view. I'm a Gen-Xer with "Millennial tendencies" so I have a lot of sympathy).

The big takeaway from the keynote was the value of connection and how much influence friends and family members have versus the shrinking power of advertising. An example was given of a viral internet petition that got 1K signatures/hour for 2 days straight and ended up changing how an entire industry labels its products in a week (Read the whole AT Kearney Report). That was a JoJo moment, and Food Babe mobilized her army and created change. We all have the potential for JoJo moments, but I don't think they can happen if you aren't truly passionate about your YOPP. It must come from down deep inside and be authentic. So...what are you shouting from the rooftops these days?

Comments