Skip to main content

Finding My Tribe

I attended my first ICF Philadelphia Chapter meeting last month. The group was small, welcoming, and warm; and although they obviously knew each other reasonably well, I was immediately included. I don't take that experience for granted...I am always profoundly grateful when I'm made to feel comfortable in a group of strangers.
We met in a coffee shop very early in the morning, clustered together in the back, drinking tea and coffee and lots of water. Sometimes its the smallest markers that let you know you've found your people. With this group, everyone had a journal with them. Beautiful paper, some leather bound, all well-worn, marked-up. And lovely pens chosen with care. In my day job, folks show up to meetings with laptops and put their cell phones on the table. And I'm an outlier writing in my notebook, sometimes even in script, just for the loopy pleasure of seeing curvalicious letters on the page. But this group did things by hand - just like me. The more time I spend with other coaches, the more I know I've found 'my tribe' - people who share a similar way of moving through experiences and viewing the world. I think it's the pause. The care used when speaking and listening to others. The value given to slowing down and thinking, then making deliberate choices. Whatever it is, it inspires me and brings joy. And I am grateful.

Comments